The Tottenham Hotspur Empire expands; money, money, money in a rich man's world!



The Tottenham Hotspur Empire expands; money, money, money in a rich man's world!

When we were in our old stadium a group of business billionaires took over our club in the hope – or maybe just a mild inkling – that they could forge an empire out of a 118-year-old historical monument. That ground had 2,533 competitive Spurs games, now bulldozed down to make way for a billion-pound money-spinning kingdom.

Phase one and two are completed, and now the Empire moguls have submitted an application for phase three of the money-making-stadium complex. The end result, when all those phases have been completed, Daniel will sing his song, if he hasn't already… (paraphrased from the Abba song)…

#I, Daniel, work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay

Ain't it sad

And still, there never seems to be a single penny left for poor me

That's too bad

In my dreams, I have a plan to build a stadium

If I got me a wealthy donor man to back me

I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball

Money, money, money

Must be funny

In the rich man's world

Money, money, money

Always sunny

In the rich man's world

Aha aha

All the things I could do

If I had a little more money

It's a rich man's world, now my world

It's a rich man's world

A man like me is hard to find, until I look in the mirror and see myself

Ain't it a joy that is reflected back

And if he happens to be free I bet he would fancy me even more

That's too bad, what others think

So I must leave, I'll have to go

As I fly to Vegas or Monaco

And win a fortune in a game, my life will never be the same, thanks to my genius

Money, money, money… in my rich world#

 

Sorry, I got carried away… Oh, phase three of the application.

As all you kiddy winkles know, our glorious monument to the chuckle brothers (Daniel & Joe) has been operational since April of last year, with the 62,303-capacity venue already hosting big games like Champions and Premier League football, as well as NFL matches, concerts, boxing matches… oh, sorry, too fast… forgot the virus. Nevertheless, our stadium continues to receive fantastic reviews from its many thousands of invitees (paying invitees!).

Our club (well, it used to be) now confirmed that we are set to begin work on the Northumberland Terrace. This includes transforming the area behind Tottenham High Road to the north-west of the stadium. It has also been revealed that the plans are there to set up a new commercial office space 'catering for use by the creative industry' and ground floor retail units in the new-look area. The area will reportedly also be used to house a music label and recording studio. The application states: "The creation of a series of public and semi-public spaces will encourage occupation and activity within the site and we hope that this will provides a catalyst for the regeneration of the historic buildings and local area. It will also provide commercial and community uses that offer greater benefit over present residential use. The belief is that this will result in the regeneration of a run-down space at the core of the conservation area. The improvement of the currently unfriendly environment in this part of the High Road, removal of the numerous detractors along the rear of the existing buildings."

It goes on and says: "Extending Paxton Place into a newly landscaped courtyard to the north and activating this space, and the street frontage, with retail opportunities through new and restored buildings, will encourage movement up the High Road and enable a new destination and heart space in Tottenham, a breeding ground for creative collaboration and a focus for the community."

My thoughts as a Tottenham contributor (through my years of paying my dues).

This outlay is a huge positive to the local community and the money men at Tottenham. Some have speculated that this new project or phase three could be a significant problem for the board given their current financial issues. I disagree, as the timing shows that this factor has been added in and would have been delayed if it wasn't possible to continue. And another way of looking at it; the quicker this is achieved, operational and put into use, the quicker the money starts flowing into pockets. On top of that, the crowds – whether reduced or not – should begin making the club money and then, that money rushing back to the coffers.

So all good news for Daniel and Joe, how that plays out for the team is anybody's guess… but priorities are priorities, and Daniel and co didn't invest to make themselves paupers.

So; let us have a silent moment of prayer and allow that Abba song to gently flow through our thoughts: #I, Daniel, work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay

Ain't it sad… Money, money, money in a rich man's world#

 

I am sure a few itty pitty tears will flow for our saviour and mastermind! How he suffered… oh, how!!!!!

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts