Jimmy Greaves, MBE (congratulations).

 


Jimmy Greaves, MBE (congratulations).

As a fan, and somebody who has seen Jimmy Greaves play, I was delighted that he was given a much deserved – even though late – recognition for his services to football (Spurs & England) and the world. He was one of our most incredible ever Spurs players. Legend when he was playing, and still a legend now. Yes, he was awarded an MBE (Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) in the Queen's New Year Honours list. I tip my hat to him and his family.

Jimmy Greaves, or Greavsie, is the most fantastic striker ever to grace our ground and the game; he set countless records during an incredible playing career, many of which still stand to this day. He has won two FA Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup during his nine years with us between 1961 and 1970, Jimmy scored 266 goals in 379 competitive appearances for us and still remains a Club record. He was 58 goals ahead of his partner Bobby Smith (208) with Harry Kane now up to 204. But that isn't the end of it, oh, no; league records also plummeted during his career - nobody has ever scored more top-flight goals (357) or top-scored in Division One in more seasons (six) than Jimmy Greaves. He began his career at Chelsea before joining us via a brief spell at AC Milan for a famous £99,999 fee in December 1961. And the reason that that fee was £99,999 was that Bill Nicholson, the Spurs manager, didn't want him to become the first £100,000 player.

After leaving us Jimmy left to join West Ham in 1970, with the late, great Martin Peters moving to Spurs, and then retired at the end of 1970/71 season having scored 422 goals in 602 career appearances.

But that is only part of the story, there is England. Internationally Jimmy remains in England's top five goalscorers of all-time with 44 goals in his 57 caps between 1959-67. He was part of England's World Cup-winning squad in 1966, sadly he was injured in the third group match against France and was replaced by Geoff Hurst. The latter scored in the quarter-final against Argentina and then a hat-trick in the final against West Germany (in those days Germany was split between East and West; East being under communist/ Soviet control).

On hearing the news that he was to be rewarded with an MBE, he said: "I'm deeply honoured to receive this recognition for services to football from Her Majesty The Queen. Football has been my life, from the day I started kicking a ball around as a kid at home in Essex, to signing for Chelsea at 15, then to Milan, those wonderful nine years at Spurs, then West Ham and, later, my work in television and the media. There have been highs and lows, but it's a game I will always love and will always be part of me. I'd like to dedicate this award to Irene, my family and friends. Thanks for all your love and support."


Later on in life, and after retiring, Jimmy Greaves formed an unlikely partnership with the Liverpool player Ian St John for a football-TV show called Saint and Greavsie. It was one of the most popular shows on TV at that time. It ran on ITV from 1985 to 1992.

Chairman, Daniel Levy, said: "As someone who remains to this day the Club's all-time record goalscorer, revered by generations of fans across the country for his achievements in the game, we believe this recognition is truly deserved. The news means we end what has been such a challenging year on a hugely positive note - Jimmy continues to serve as an inspiration to us all."

Greavsie and his numbers;

17 - Jimmy's age on his debut - he scored against us for Chelsea in August 1957

266 - Jimmy's goals for Spurs in 379 competitive appearances, 1961-70

3 - Jimmy won the FA Cup twice and the Cup Winners' Cup at Spurs

357 - Jimmy's top-flight goals between 1957-71 - still a record

6 - Jimmy was top-scorer in Division One six times - still a record

37 - Jimmy scored 37 league goals in 1962/63 - still a Club record

44 - Jimmy's goals in 57 England caps


My memories


In the sixties, my dad took me to Spurs (or, if not my dad, either a friend, my Grandad or an uncle) and we often got there early. Occasionally we would go into the local café, either before or after the game, and Jimmy and other players were in there, and we would sit on a table near his. He would often call me over and asked me how I was, what did I think of the game; either that day's game or a past game. In the 60s I was given signed photos, pictures with the players etc., sadly when my parents immigrated to Australia in the late 60s, they were either lost or stolen. Not only did I lose stuff from the 60s but my memorabilia from my grandad, going back to the start of of the Club's inception. Luckily, some stuff didn't all go amiss, such as programmes, handbooks and books, etc.

Danny Greaves and Me.

Last season, after a game  (feeling depressed; we lost to Wolves at home 3-2), I made my way to the second-floor lounge where Stefania, Terry, Graham Roberts and a few others were there waiting. I talked to this man sitting next to me, about the match etc. and then we talked about how long I had been going to Spurs (since the late 50s), then he asked me who my favourite players were. I said, “the best player I’ve ever seen was Jimmy Greaves, but I thought he was a lazy player…  a bit like Steve Archibald (but not in the same league). I meant lazy in the sense that he would hang around the box, not like Kane, running here, there and everywhere, and for his troubles scored fewer goals than Greaves. I also said that Glenn Hoddles was another favourite… then I asked him who his favourite players were… he mentioned Hoddle and then said something strange, which I dismissed (back to that later). We were talking a bit more when he said, “Do you know who I am?” (the others knew who he was). No, I said, even though his face looked familiar, but I couldn’t put a name to him, he responded with “I am Danny Greaves…” Jimmy Greaves son! Suddenly it dawned on me… christ, it was! Then the talk changed (obviously), I asked him how his father was (fine). I got my photo taken with him (see picture). 

The strange thing he mentioned, beside Hoddle, was “and my father,” which at the time I thought was an odd thing to say… who the hell was his father? It goes to show you, you never know who you are talking to sometimes… at least my comments came from the heart, rather than sycophancy (if I had known who I was talking to). At least it cheered me up after such a depressing result. On the “lazy” bit, he did say that his father had said, why run around when you can just be in the right spot to tap the ball in (you can’t argue with that!).



Great memories and congratulations to a great Spurs and footballing legend, jimmy Greaves MBE.

Best regards and a Happy New Year to you all, Glenn COYS!



Comments

Popular Posts