Classic games I've been to: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Chelsea (1967 FA Cup Final)



Classic games I've been to: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Chelsea (1967 FA Cup Final)

This is the fifth instalment of classic games I've been to in my Spurs lifetime. Hopefully, it fills the void of no football (at the moment), and me telling you my tails of the matches I've been going to in the season.

The 1967 Cup final wasn't the first Final I've been to; Oh, no! The first one I actually went to, at the age of five was in the Double Season. I have a very vague memory of that match, and the final the following season. I am not sure whether I was smuggled in or my dad had got me a ticket. In those days small children were sneaked in into the grounds, whether that be home, away or finals. People at gates were very sympathetic, and it was easier to slip young children in. In fact, you could find this still happening in the 70s, and maybe the 80s. Anyway, I doubt I could say that those earlier cup games would go under my classic games that I’ve been to, mainly because of my age and memory. Games between 5 to 7 blurred into one. I have rewatched them again on video/ CD, but that wouldn't be the same. I've also seen games from the 20s,30s and 40s, that is on film, but that would be pushing to say I've indeed seen them. I know I am old, but back then, I wasn't even a thought in my parent's imaginations. But from the age of ten, then a bit more clarity comes through.

In May 1967, I was eleven. In August of that year, I would be twelve. But at that the moment I was eleven. Back then, I lived in Swindon, Wiltshire. In a small village called Blunsdon, to be precise. Even though I was born in London, I grew up in Swindon (Swindon was a London overspill back in the 50s and 60s).

What was happening in 1967

In 1967 we had a Labour Government and Harold Wilson was the Prime Minister. Also in that year, we saw Evel Knievel jumps his motorcycle over 16 cars lined up in a row. The Beatles release Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, one of rock's most acclaimed albums. The Beatles also released the double A-sided single with “Penny Lane” on one side and "Strawberry Fields Forever" on the other side. Like all of the sixties, it was a cornucopia of great music.

In September of that year, Radio 1 started, and their first DJ was Tony Blackburn. The first song he played on that radio station was the Move’s “Flowers in the Rain”. Music for me was just as important as Spurs. Also that year Jimmy Hendrix burnt his guitar in London, and Aretha Franklin released “Respect”. A few other tasters that came out around the London Cup Final time: "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" The Monkees, "Somethin' Stupid" Nancy Sinatra & Frank Sinatra (father & daughter),"The Happening" The Supremes, "Groovin'" by The Young Rascals and “Ruby Tuesday” by the Rolling Stones. I saw the Stones in Paris in 1976. Also “Okay” by Dave, Dee, Dozy, Mick & Tich were also in the charts, another act I’ve seen live (I saw them about 15 years ago before Dave Dee died). That was at the Reading Hexagon.

We got to the FA Cup Final by beating Millwall over two games, Portsmouth, Bristol City, Birmingham City twice (the last game we won 6-0, which was our biggest win of that season) and Nottingham Forest in the Semi-Final. Greaves and Saul put an end to Forest’s hopes of meeting Chelsea at Wembley.

Also that season, we were previously in and then quickly out of the League cup. Our first game was against the Hammers, away, sadly there was only one goal in it, and it went to them. The Final was contested between QPR and WBA, with the Rangers winning 3-2. West Ham did get to the Semi-Finals but were knocked out 6-2 on aggregate by West Bromwich Albion.

The day of the Match

I have a memory of travelling up to London by car with my dad (obviously, I was too young to drive by myself). We stayed at my uncle's house and from there, with my uncle and dad we went to Wembley. When I went with my dad, we always bought a programme; which I've carried on that tradition to this day. I even inherited programmes from my uncle/ dad and grandad, which I've still got. Sadly, some also got lost when we moved, but that is another story.

I remember getting something to eat, walking around, looking at stalls and my dad and his brother talking to several fans. Some even ruffled my hair, which I hated. Probably thinking I was a pet monkey or something. Then when all the chatting was over, we queued, which felt like forever. I know I was very excited. Relief; finally got through and we found a suitable place to stand. Then I think there was some sort of entertainment, either with the fans or something on the pitch. Obviously, my memory was focused on the game, and not what went on around it.

So, the 1967 FA Cup Final took place at Wembley on 20 May 1967, between Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea. It was the competition's first Final to be contested between two teams from London and is often labelled the Cockney Cup Final. It was only Chelsea's second appearance in an FA Cup final, and their first for over 50 years. It was our 5th FA Cup Final (1901,1921,1961 and 1962).

The Tottenham Hotspur side contained former Chelsea players Jimmy Greaves and Terry Venables. We took a 2-0 lead through goals from Jimmy Robertson and Frank Saul, before Bobby Tambling scored a consolation for Chelsea with just five minutes remaining.

If I remember rightly, we were on top for the majority of the first half (at least it seemed that way, as my small mind calculated it). Peter Bonetti, who sadly just died, turned the first of two early efforts from Jimmy Robertson round the post with typical suppleness, before a second effort just cleared the Chelsea crossbar. Chelsea's best bid came from Charlie Cooke; a run resulting in a shot that compelled a save from Pat Jennings. We then took the lead just before half time; Robertson finally getting on the scoresheet with a low left-footed strike.

We continued to control the match in the second half and scored a second goal midway through that period. Robertson was again involved, he helped on a long throw from Dave Mackay that Frank Saul turned in. Bobby Tambling headed in what turned out to be a consolation goal in the 85th minute, with the Blues unable to muster an equaliser. We had won 2-1. The cheering seemed to go on forever and ever. In fact, I remember I didn't want it to stop. All I could think of was getting back to school and boasting to all my friends what a great day we had. Then the presentation of the cup and finally a walk back to the station, tube and then a short walk to my uncle's house and then home. I think we got back quite late. Which probably meant we stayed at my uncle's for a cup of tea and something to eat—a very memorable day.

Now; some of you may question my description of the match as being quite amazing, more so seeing that it was well over fifty years ago. And you would be right, however, since then I have watched that game many times on CD, which helped jog my memory along quite a bit, thank you!

That game was on a Saturday, the next day was Sunday, and I met up with friends to boast, then school for more bragging the following day. Now, knowing my luck, somebody will probably jump up and say that that Monday was a bank holiday, or world war three just happened, so there was no school for that day… well, if that is the case, then no doubt it would have been the day I did go back. Please, I may have a good memory with the help of video reruns of the match, but beyond that, my memory is fractured (age, damn it, age!). At least I am still alive (just!) to recount my adventures here.

20 May 1967
15.00  Tottenham Hotspur           2 - 1    Chelsea        Venue: Wembley Stadium, London
Attendance: 100,000
Referee: Ken Dagnall
Robertson Goal 40'
Saul Goal 67'                       Tambling Goal 85'



TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR:
GK      1          Pat Jennings
RB       2          Joe Kinnear
LB        3          Cyril Knowles
CM     4          Alan Mullery

CB       5          Mike England
CB       6          Dave Mackay (c)
RM      7          Jimmy Robertson
CF       8          Jimmy Greaves


CF       9          Alan Gilzean
CM     10        Terry Venables
LM       11        Frank Saul
Substitutes: Cliff Jones
Manager:
Bill Nicholson

That season we finished 3rd in Division one. Manchester United won the league with 60pts. Second was Forest with 56 pts, while we also finished on 56pts, but third. They ended above us because of goal difference.

Relegated from the 1st Division that season was Aston Villa and Blackpool. In those days only two were relegated, two came up. And it was Coventry and Wolves who were the lucky ones.

We had high hopes for the following season, which started on the 12 August with us facing Manchester United in the Charity Shield Cup. The match ended in a draw, but it will be remembered for our goal Keeper Pat Jennings scoring one of our goals (3-3). I spoke to Pat Jenning many years later, and I asked him, did you intentionally try to score from your goalmouth, his reply was: “I saw Alex Stepney of his line, so I shot.” So, there you go. I was at that match.

Sadly that following season we only managed to finish 7th, knocked out of the FA Cup in the 5th round by Liverpool. There was no league cup then.  But at least we beat Chelsea in the all London final.


By Glenn Renshaw

Comments

  1. There was a League Cup. It started in 1960. 1967 was the first year that the final was played at Wembley, and 3rd division QPR came back form 2-0 down to beat 1st division WBA 3-2. There first two goals were scored by a certain Rodney Marsh.

    I remember us beating Chelsea. My bihg hero then was Jimmy Greaves. Good teamw e had then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there was League cup for us in 1966/7. If I remember rightly, it was optional at first. The following season we didn't appear (1967/8). But we did 1968/9.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts