The Leipzig game, an excellent two days and the Coronavirus

Leipzig, Lloris and a great two days spent with friends.


RB Leipzig 3 Spurs 0 (4.0 agg)

This result didn't surprise me, nor surprised any other Tottenham supporters I met on the day of that match. Those that went out went out intending to have a good two days (or longer in some cases) in Leipzig, irrespective of the result.

The night before I stayed in Goodmayes, got up at 4 am. Drove to Stanstead, parked-up in the Orange Zone (nearer to the Airport), got something to eat and waited for the others to turn up (flight was leaving at 9.30). Terry was first to arrive, followed by Mel. Terry and I made our way to the airport bar, and he had some drinks (alcohol) and something to eat; I didn't. I knew we were going to have a meal and drinks later, and I wanted to be in a fit state to enjoy myself (whether I was in a fit state after our lunch and drinks is another story). After that, we made our way to the airport lounge with other supporters and then got on the plane. Some supporters were wearing face masks (because of the virus). After an hour and a half being cramped in like sardines, we finally arrived on German soil.

Once there – we went with Sports Options – we went straight through security and passport control and then onto our awaiting coaches (three). From there to Charly's hotel where we booked in. Later, Mel, Terry and I decided to walk into the Market Square (where all the Spurs fans congregated). After about 15 minutes of walking, Mel checked his phone and realised we were walking in the wrong direction, so we turned around and back the other way, that was 30 minutes the other way.

Leipzig still had many old buildings from their communist days (when it was East Germany), amongst the old you could spot many new ones popping up around the city. I also noticed the old overhead cables. I found the people friendly and willing to engage and help you if need be. According to records, the city can be traced back to 1015 (in old money that is quarter past ten).

Nowadays, Leipzig is an important economic centre in Germany. It is often called “the New Berlin”. Leipzig is also Germany's fastest-growing city. After ten years of construction, the Leipzig City Tunnel opened on 14 December 2013. So, that is a little about the city. Colditz wasn’t too far away, if I had more time I would have had a look around and see if I could escape from it.

To cut a long story short, we found a Germany restaurant. We ordered three dinners, a beer each, followed by glasses of wine (they didn’t do bottles). That was all washed down with whisky (of sorts), coffee/ cappuccino (whisky poured in it) desserts, followed by more drinks. Sue popped over to say that her group was in such-and-such place, so we said we'll meet up later.

We then moved on to the Grand Hotel, where we met up with Steve and Sue and her party. It was the players' hotel. We had Amaretto, Baileys, burger, amaretto and Baileys again. Then it was time for the entertainment; watching the players come out of their rooms and into their awaiting Spurs coach, followed by cheers and songs. One supporter got carried away and had to be wrestled to the ground. All good clean fun!

The three of us (Mel, Steve and myself) got a taxi to the stadium (about 15 minutes ride). Our taxi driver was a Leipzig fan and thought his team would win, silly boy!

Because Terry and I had upgraded tickets (neutral area) and Steve and Mel were in the Spurs end we parted, arranging to meet at the statue outside the stadium after the game.

Before I continue… a bit about the stadium (the Red Bull Arena). It is the largest football stadium in former East Germany and has also hosted music concerts as well as football (a touch of Levy here). It opened in 2004, it hosts first-division club RB Leipzig, with FC Sachsen Leipzig having previously used the stadium from its opening until 2009. Due to UEFA sponsorship regulations, the stadium is known as the RB Arena for European matches. The stadium is within the confines of a historic stadium's exterior. In other words, they built a modern stadium on top of the old one. That is why it was so bloody high up. And talking about high up; I've never seen so many steps and steps and… to ad Infinitum (or it seemed that way). And the ground around it was muddy and wet. With a gammy leg, it was fun just to climb them (and dodge the muddy-puddles).

There are bridges built over the old stadium to connect with the new stadium. The roof has an integrated floodlight design and is designed to provide superior acoustics. It has been integrated into the area surrounding the stadium by large numbers of trees and other greenery. The capacity is 42,595, which was nearly sold out. The official attendance for that night was 42,146. Where I sat, and the Spurs supporters sat, there were plenty of vacant seats. People were not turning up (the virus had scared some away). Not so much in the stadium, but I did notice a few face masks around the city.

Before we leave for any away matches Tottenham send out a list of dos and don’ts. Such as no battery chargers, camera’s, weapons etc. (or they will be confiscated). So I hid my battery charger, but I needn’t have bothered. The search was meagre, and we were let through (with smiles). Which, to be honest, is the same for most European football stadiums (the searches are crap).

Once we got up to the top, Terry and I lost each other, I got something to eat and a Leipzig pendant (I collect European ones) and then made my way to my seat. Five rows from the front. I noticed Terry, Sue and her daughter at the front. As Terry had a seat vacant beside him, I waited until half time and made my way to him.

I’ve travelled all over Europe and the UK watching Spurs and in all that time no club, no matter where they are, have played Spurs songs (#Come on you Spurs etc.). Or any opposing teams songs. But when Leipzig did just that I was shocked. But that didn’t stop me, amongst thousand-odd Leipzig supporters, singing our song, to the bemusement, I might add, of the home fans. At least they didn’t belt me with rotten tomatoes. Could you imagine Tottenham playing #I am for ever blowing you… erm, sorry, that should be, # I am forever blowing bubbles? Spurs fans would be having kittens.

Anyway, we were here for a reason (oh, and a couple of great days out)… yes, football.

Well, to cut a long 90 minutes short, our  Champions League campaign has come to an end as we were resoundingly beaten by the host team (home & away; sounds like a TV soap opera).

The German club led 1-0 from the first leg in London, and Marcel Sabitzer's double at the Red Bull Arena put Leipzig in control. Hugo Lloris should have done better for both goals - getting a hand to both the Leipzig captain's 20-yard shot and near-post header. Emil Forsberg scored with his first touch after coming off the bench to give Leipzig a 4-0 aggregate win.

Even though we were injury-hit, we never looked capable of mounting a comeback like the one against Ajax last season which took us to our first-ever Champions League Final. Another year without trophies for us again.

So, with a little help from Lloris, we were out. Maybe I should mention; when half time came, and as I said, I moved down to the front, Sue spotted a beer seller (keg back-pack on) and got us four jugs of beer. That was a lovely gesture, and well needed!

After the game, Sue and her daughter went one way, Terry and I went the other; to the statue to find Mel and Steve. Unfortunately, they had already gone. They managed to see some free coaches going back to the Market square and hitched a ride. We couldn’t even spot a bus or taxi, so we decided to walk. We then spotted an Italian restaurant and thought we would go in and order a cab. Then we thought, let us have some wine (bottle) and a pizza, then a couple of Amarettos, Bailey’s and… (yes, you guessed it). Then we got a taxi back to Charly’s hotel (which the driver never heard of, so he had to look it up on a map). We got to the hotel well gone past 12. Went to the bar and had… you guessed it again… amaretto’s. We talked to a couple of regular Spurs supporters (who were on the plane with us) had some more amarettos and then went to bed. That wasn’t to bed together; we weren’t that drunk… oh, no... we had separate rooms, but saying that, I had a double, as I was supposed to share with a friend (Martin), but unfortunately he couldn’t make it. So it was just me, myself and I – the three of us – who shared the double room.

About 5.30 I woke up in a sweat, not having a clue where I was… then it dawned on me. I went back to sleep. When I did eventually get up, I couldn’t find my glasses… panic, finally finding them under the bed.

Went to the restaurant for an orange drink, I couldn’t stomach food. At 8.30 we got on the coaches to the Airport. Went through all the rigmarole, then to the plane and back to old blighty.

Even though I felt ok, I wasn’t sure if I still had alcohol in my system, so I drove back carefully. Picked my bitch up (dog) and home. I got home at 2.45 pm.

On Sunday we were supposed to have played Manchester United. As for any hopes of a top-four spot, I didn't think so! What I had witnessed lately could have culminated in our steady decline, but my assessment has now changed, because of the virus. The cancellation has given us new hope. Son has started training again, along with Kane and Sissoko. All could be ready by April, and that is the month that football will resume (if all goes well).

A top-four place is essential for us; without it, we would have less money for the next transfer window (according to Levy).

The Leipzig game was a predictable result, and we all knew it, so we intended to have a great day, and we did—a very memorable one. And probably our last time in Europe for many years to come (unless we improve). I was saddened that my friend Martin couldn't make the trip. Not that I was desperate to share a room with him, but in all the fun he missed out on (maybe next time!).
Best Regards, Glenn



COYS!



Comments

  1. Me, The Missus and my son flew out Sunday, met a friend in Berlin for lunch and then got the train down to Leipzig. On the day of the game we went round the excellent leipzig Zoo. The day after the game I had arranged a guided tour of Coldittz. A boyhood ambition to see the castle and actually see the site of the escapes I kew all about having read just about everything ever published about the POWs. Shame about the game but a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left on the morning of the match, so unfortunately I didn't get to see Colditz, but I would like to go again. Sad about the result, but a great day nevertheless.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts