Classic games that I’ve been to, First up, the FA Cup semi Final in 1991


Classic games that I’ve been to, First up, the FA Cup semi Final  in 1991


I’ve decided that because there is no football, I will revisit some of the great matches and times I’ve had from my past. The game I decided to do first was held in 1991, and it was a special and unique occasion.

The 1991 semi-final between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur was the first to be played at Wembley, the traditional venue for the FA Cup Final. Before that, semi-finals have always been played at neutral sites. Since 2008, all semi-finals have been held at Wembley. In the past, any suitably large ground which was not the home ground of a team in that semi-final was used. Villa Park in Birmingham, Old Trafford in Manchester, and Hillsborough in Sheffield were customary hosts. All semi-finals between 1871 and 1881 were played at Kennington Oval. The first neutral semi-final match outside London took place in 1882 in Huddersfield. So, 1991 was a unique moment then.

I haven’t missed a home game since the late 70s. Away, since the 90s. In this particular year, I went to all the games (which is bloody obvious, considering what I’ve just previously said!). In January of 1991 (5th) I travelled to Blackpool, where we beat the Seasiders 1-0. Paul Stewart’s only goal decided the outcome. Twenty-one days later we were at home, this time against Oxford United. A goal from Mabbutt, two from Gazza and Linker got the fourth. They managed to put two past us, but we were through to the next round.

On the 16th February, I travelled to Portsmouth, where we beat them 2-1 (both goals were by Gazza). If I recall rightly Darren Anderton was playing for Portsmouth. In the 6th Rd, we were back at home where we faced Notts County (I remember it being televised for some reason). Goals from Nayim and Gazza put us through 2-1. We were through to the semi-finals (hurray!). The first time since… well… 1987. Once the excitement had died down, our thoughts turned to who we might get. We waited with bated breath. Finally, the names were drawn, and Low and behold we were going to face the scum… yes, Arsenal. They were favourites to win the double that year, and we were in their way. They had only been beaten three times that season. Once in the League, once in the FA Cup (by us) and were also knocked out of the League cup. So who better to knock that smug smile off their faces than us?

A record was produced by Chas & Dave called the Victory song (about beating Arsenal). Clearly, that came out after the match; otherwise, Chas & Dave would have had to consult a Medium (or even a large… or small, take your pick). For those that are now confused by small, medium and large, I am talking about a ‘Fortune Teller’. There is nothing like confusing things when one is in the flow of reading).

It was a pleasant April day; forgive me if the event has romanticised in my memory, but if that is the case… I am old! Then I would have been in my thirties. It was 29 years ago. I know, looking at me, you must be thinking… “Jesus, he hasn’t aged”. I get that all the time, mainly when I go to Spec Savers. But I am digressing. So, it was a pleasant April’s day. I was living in a different place than I am now, but still in Berkshire.

I went up by train with my friend Alan on that Sunday morning; then from Paddington to Baker Street and then onto Wembley Park. I got there early (as always), mingled with the Tottenham supporters. I got myself a rip off double-sized programme. I went to a burger van for, yes, you guessed it, a burger and a beer. Alan wasn’t a Tottenham supporter, but I did manage to get him a ticket (how, I can’t remember). We had gone to a few Tottenham games together.

For those that are not aware; the Wembley then was a totally different Wembley of today. I would say it is like comparing shit with cheese. The old Wembley had a historical and football feel to it. This Wembley seems disengaged, but then I am probably biased. To me, it doesn’t feel like a national stadium, but a bog-standard – large - league venue. Our stadium has more class and football feel to it. Remember, I was a season ticket holder there for a few years while our new stadium was being built. But you might see it differently.

The new stadium opened in 2007, on the site of the original Wembley Stadium, which was bulldozed to rubble between 2002 to 2003. The older one opened in 1923, and the first FA Cup Final game was against, if I remember rightly, between Bolton Wanderers and West Ham. Also known as the White Horse final. And it wasn’t the Spammers who won. But I must clarify; when I say “if I remember rightly,” doesn’t mean I was there… oh, no! I read about it. My dad was born that year. That was 97 years ago. It would have been some feat if I was there.

Did I think we would win? Well, if you have read my previous blogs, you will know that I am an optimistic person where Spurs are concerned. Nonetheless, that optimism has been pushed to the limits of late, and my cage has been rattled a few times. But I did think that we could beat the Woolwich bandits back then. Saying that, I thought we could beat Liverpool in the Champions League Final last season.

It was the day that Paul Gascoigne’s had that memorable goal which set Tottenham up for the FA Cup semi-final win over Arsenal and stopped the Arsewipes from getting that double.

Yes, against all the odds, we defeated Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley, a day never to be forgotten by Spurs fans around the world who have declared 14th April to be ‘St. Hotspur Day’ in honour of Spurs’ memorable 3–1 victory. And for those of us that were there, it is edged into our minds until kingdom come.
 
Let us savour the moment, and say it again; Arsenal were humbled as Paul Gascoigne returned from injury to score and inspire us to a prodigious success. We were not expected to win this game, the first semi-final to be played at Wembley, to-boot, but Venable, our manager then, had the team firing on all cylinders from the start (a couple of years later he was gone).

After five minutes, Gascoigne scored from a 35-yard free-kick that was hit with such power and precision that it left Seaman clutching at thin air. When I say “Seaman”, I am referring to their goalkeeper, and not to be confused with semen… granted, hard to distinguish between. Both are friends of Wayne Kerr.

Barry Davies, remember him?, well he was commenting on the match for BBC at the time, he summed the situation up perfectly, “He’s not going to have a go from there…. he is you know…. that is Schoolboy’s Own stuff!”

We thought the same, when that goal went in, we leapt off our seats, hugged the person next to us (I can’t remember whether that was male or female, but I did have tears in my eyes… if that helps!). We were ecstatic. Five minutes later, Gary Lineker increased our lead. Arsenal didn’t know what hit them (they were like a punch drunk boxer, wondering all over the place confused… and yes, sounds very much like the Woolwich bandits of today). They scored just before half-time through Alan Smith, but Lineker scored the third after 78 minutes to take us to the Final (against Forest, which is another story). Gazza played for only an hour but left to an ovation – ’Spurs Hero of Wembley’ but every player played their part in this memorable victory. When he left the field, we stood and applauded our hero. From then onwards he was never remembered (well, not that much) as the testicle player. For those that are confused, there is a famous picture of Vinny Jones grabbing Gazza’s nuts in a game (that was when he played for Newcastle).

Reading ‘The Times’ – Monday, 15th April, Stuart Jones’ headline was: “Gascoigne Denies Arsenal Double.”

The Tottenham manager, Terry Venables, afterwards commented: “Paul was probably the only player who could do anything like that. To get so much power as well as bend and dip into his free-kick was phenomenal. He did a great job, but to be honest, apart from the free-kick I don’t want to overdo it talking about him because in the end, it was a team effort.”

After the game, we went home on a high. Strangers (Spurs supporters) came up to me and either slapped me on the back or high fived me. No, I wasn’t playing, or even a celebrity. We all were so excited that as soon as we saw one of us (Yids), we went into overdrive with the emotions.

Remember; that year ended with a “1”. And you know what that means? 1901 (FA Cup), 1921 (FA Cup), 1951 (League Title), 1961 (double), 1971 (league Cup), 1981 (FA Cup)… and you guessed it! We were in the Final. As for 2001 and 2011, don’t mention it. It probably was a 20th Century thing.

The team that day: Thorstvedt, Edinburgh, Van Den Hauwe, Sedgley, Howells, Mabbutt, Stewart, Gascoigne (Nayim), Samways (Walsh), Lineker, Allen

Scorers: Gascoigne, Lineker (2)       For Arsenal; Smith

Certainly one of the greatest days of my life. But not the only one.

Anyway, stay safe.

By Glenn Renshaw

Comments

Popular Posts