A long day and coach trip to Burnley… oh, and the discussion on atmosphere!


A long day and coach trip to Burnley… oh, and the discussion on atmosphere!

Burnley 1 Tottenham Hotspur 1

All I can say about the first half of this game is that we were terrible. The way things were going, I could see Burnley, not only scoring, but one of our players being sent off. You could observe the frustration on their faces and by their body language. Our team saw four yellow cards (they got five).

But the second half was a different kettle of fish. Once Lo Celso and Moura came on, we transformed ourselves as a team. More urgency and more guts in the side (but still a lot of work to do). Dier’s aggression on Wednesday must have inspired them to do something in the next game (Burnley); however, why they waited until the second half, is anybody’s guess. Maybe they thought, let us show our yin and yang first! Dazzle them, they thought, and they certainly did that (especially to a chorus of boos as they walked off at half-time).

Before all that; I travelled to Burnley by Spurs coach, too much of a long trip by car otherwise. At least I wasn’t alone, well, apart from the three coach’s Spurs had laid on, Martin, Rick and Beverley joined me (not that I needed sticking together!). This added conversation to what could have been a very dull journey, but then again, we do have mobile phones and iPads to entertain us.

Interestingly enough, along with other passengers, the conversation was on the new stadium and how the atmosphere had changed since we left the old ground. Fans feel sidelined by all the Tottenham Stadium’s ventures into concerts, corporate and Executive venues etc. being added, but nothing extra for the team. All this is making for an unhappy, disconcerted and angry supporters base. It is ok building a great stadium, so long as the fans aren't forgotten in a rush for greed. I spoke to a young lady who is a season ticket holder. She had been going to Spurs since 2004 and loved the atmosphere at the old ground, but found the new stadium lacking. Too many tourists, she said, and she is not the only one voicing this concern. She now lives in Leeds, rents out her Season ticket, but keeps and uses the away tickets. She prefers the atmosphere and of course, she says, they (those that travel away) are genuine and hardcore supporters (as opposed to those that use the new stadium as a sightseeing expedition). Another supporter told me, at the Burnley game, that he has never been to the new stadium but goes to all away matches. His brother has a season ticket and can’t go to away games, so he goes instead. Me personally: I found the atmosphere where I sit, great (true fans); however, that doesn’t mean I haven’t seen tourists, away fans and those using the stadium as a business undertaking (i.e. they bring their clients for a night out). I don’t suppose Daniel distinguishes between types of people, so long as they all pay, then job done. Anyway…

We left Lee Valley at 9.30, had just one-stop, for an hour and got to the ground two hours before kick-off (3.20). As the stadium wasn’t ready for us to enter, Martin and myself had a walk around. Taking in the local houses and back allies (that is as exciting as it gets in Burnley or at least the part of Burnley where we walked around). After the circuit, I got my programme (the most important thing), then we went in, and I got myself a pie and beer. Mel and a few friends joined us.

After that little sojourn back to what matters… then again, doesn’t it all matter? Sadly the Tottenham Board know they’ve got a captured market, if we don’t like it then we can always go and support another team or give up football all together (with such a big waiting list I don’t think they would care). As for me, I’ll always be going to Tottenham; I have nothing else. I’ve been doing this for 59 years. Too old, too conditioned and too exhausted to fight a losing battle. Whatever the future holds for Tottenham Hotspur FC things are going to change and we, the supporters, will have to adapt. I suppose, eventually, the stadium will be sold off as a cash cow. How that will affect the football team, in the long run, will be anybody’s guess… Jesus! I’ve been side-tracked again… sorry.

Anyway, remember football?

Sean Dyche fears football is in "dangerous territory" after his Burnley side were denied a penalty in their draw with Tottenham (more frustration talking because they couldn't win). The Clarets boss felt Chris Wood should have been given a penalty after Spurs' equaliser, but the striker did not go down under Davinson Sanchez's tackle.

In the end, Dele Alli's penalty after Wood's opener was enough to earn Tottenham a point.

To be fair, the Clarets deserved their first-half lead when Wood tapped home the rebound after Hugo Lloris had spilled Jay Rodriguez's long-range shot. At that stage, Mourinho's side looked utterly out of sorts, but the half-time introduction of Lucas Moura and Giovani lo Celso sparked us into action. It was Lo Celso's superb through ball that forced a rash challenge on Eric Lamela by Ben Mee and Alli scored from the penalty spot for his 50th Premier League goal.

In a frantic finish, Lo Celso almost scored with a curling 20-yard effort before Lloris denied Matej Vydra from point-blank range.

The result means we have now gone five games without a win in all competitions – our worst run since we went seven without a victory in the autumn of 2016. The second half did show a possible future direction that Mourinho might wish to take (formation/ players used, etc.).

I eventually got back to Goodmayes (where I stayed with Hanna) at 1.40 am. Slept until 9ish and got home (Berkshire) at 12.15 pm.

Next up is a trip to Germany and Leipzig, then a match against United at home will then follow (oh, on Saturday I am going to visit my mum in Lowestoft, she has cancer). In the meantime, we’ve dropped to eighth in the league. If we don’t buck our ideas up soon, we could be in serious trouble (if we are not already).

Now, I shall start packing for my trip to Germany and probably the  Coronaviruses. If it does kill me, nice knowing you… if not, then I look forward to telling you all about my trip when I come back.
 
Best Regards, Glenn




Comments

Popular Posts