What a crazy day the Southampton trip turned out to be (in more ways that one)!


Southampton 1 Spurs 1 FA Cup 4th Rd

Yes, what a topsy-turvy day my trip to St Mary’s stadium was; before, during and afterwards.

As this match was only in Southampton, it meant a 44 minutes drive to their ground from my house. Once I got there, I found a brilliant parking space, literally opposite the stadium (a couple of steps and I was there). Of course, to park so near came at a price (£20). The benefit of this also was to my arthritis (less walking… or so I thought).

… so what happened next? I get a call from Terry to say that he has just got off the train and “how about going for a meal?”. OK, I said, where? “In town, five minutes away from the stadium.” OK, then I check my phone; actually, it was a 25-minute walk away. Excellent! So I limped to the restaurant (Cuban), and we ordered a delicious meal. Terry had his usual tipple, Rum and coke (topped up throughout the meal), while I had just a coke (at first). Then he ordered a bottle of wine, so I had a glass and a half of that (I was driving). A friend joined us, Graham Roberts, his son, daughter and granddaughter/ son (yes, that Graham Roberts) and we had an interesting chat about when he signed for Spurs, on Bill Nicholson, the current team, Pochettino and Mourinho etc. Then the walk back to the stadium (ouch!). The trouble with that was that everybody wanted to chat with Graham and get a piece of him (he was also once a Southampton youth player; he was born there).

Once at the game I had the luck to be confronted with a pedantic Security guard who went through all my stuff with a fine toothcomb (as opposed to when I last went to Southampton, over Christmas, where they weren’t interested). Once through, chatted with Rick & Beverley. Then to my seat.

Just like the Middlesbrough game, we came away with a draw, at St Mary’s.  Personally, I was quite happy with that (granted, I would have preferred a result, but we have to take what we can). We trudge back to our stadium for that rematch on the 5th February, probably an eight o’clock KO. And like the Middlesbrough game, we get a result, of course, in our favour. Unfortunately for some, it means forking out more dosh, unless you are a Premium Season ticket holder, where it is included in the price. But let us not quibble, but concentrate on getting a result and allow our march to the FA Cup Final to continue.

Saints' manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and Mourinho had made FA Cup statements of intent that day by selecting strong line-ups – with both teams delivering a game-high of excellence, possibilities and passion.

We had looked to be on our way into the fifth round just before the hour when Son crowned a brilliant break with a low finish from the excellent lo Celso's pass. Southampton, however, had a succession of chances to equalise, with the man of the moment Danny Ings having a rare off day in front of goal and squandering several opportunities. Nevertheless, Ings never let his head drop for a second and his enthusiastic approach was rewarded when he set up Boufal for a thumping finish high past our keeper, with three minutes left (then four minutes added time).

So, they got a draw, and now we return to our magnificent stadium for a battle to enter the next stage of the FA Cup (5th Rd).

But my day didn’t end there. Oh, no! After the game, I made my short walk to my car. Because of the close proximity to the ground (fans leaving) we had to wait in our cars until 5.30. Then a very reasonable drive to the A34. Got on the A34… then the problems started. I should have been home by 6.30; instead, there was a significant incident. A seven-car pile-up. After about 30 minutes in a stationary queue, four Fire engines, four ambulances, five police cars and a motorcycle, arrived. I got home at 10.30pm. Totally shattered.

We now need to dust ourselves off and prepare for our next League game against Manchester City (Sunday 2nd Feb). Hopefully, by then we will have a few more players joining our ranks. The transfer window closes on the 31st January, the same day that the UK leaves the European Union.

COYS!


All the best, Glenn




Comments

Popular Posts