My thoughts on the European draw

First of all, I was delighted that we were drawn against Barcelona. A few years ago I went to Barcelona on holiday with Hanna and we went to many locations, but one of the most important places, to me, was a trip to Barcelona’s ground. Hanna wasn’t that keen, but she came with me anyway, and we had a great time. We visited their museum and then had tea in the main stadium, beside the pitch. I took loads of photos. I then said to Hanna that I wanted to come back here with Spurs, and now it looks like I will (providing I can get a ticket).

Last season I went wit


h Spurs to Real Madrid, Dortmund and Juventus. Great experience and excellent results. On such away trips you get the usual crowd that follows Spurs to all away matches. Made many friends.

This season I am also looking forward to travelling to PSV Eindhoven & Inter Milan. As for how we will get on; last season our group stage was known as the group of death, this season we’ve got an even harder grouping. But like the last time, I predicted that we would do well (we topped our group), and this season I say the same. I know that there is a lot of criticism of our “hard grouping,” by the fans, but to me that is rubbish. We are either good enough or shouldn’t be there. We were good enough to win last season’s group stage and over the last couple of UEFA Champions league groups, we have shown our mettle. I see this group stage as another excellent continuation of our improvement under Mauricio Pochettino.

Since Pochettino came to this club, we’ve improved every year. Even with trying to embed ourselves in our temporary home at Wembley. Whatever challenges have been thrown at us we’ve dealt with it. I believe we can win a trophy this season and also be in the top four (that doesn’t mean I am saying we can’t win the league, we can).

The only problem I have will be trying to persuade my daughter to look after my dog. If not, kennels. But I am excited about the draw and what the possibilities can be. I don’t go with this argument that we shot ourselves in the foot by not signing. I think we’ve actually strengthened our hand by not signing. What we’ve got will improve our chance and position.

DRAWN FROM POT 4
INTER MILAN
AWAY 18 SEP // HOME 28 NOV
The home match at Wembley
DRAWN FROM POT 1
BARCELONA
HOME 3 OCT // AWAY 11 DEC
Home match to be played at Wembley Stadium
DRAWN FROM POT 3
PSV EINDHOVEN
AWAY 24 OCT // HOME 6 NOV
The home match at Wembley

So there you have it. A mouth water UEFA Champions draw. Yes, we’ve got the hardest group, but if we can get through that, we can get through anything. We are Spurs, have confidence. The Lilywhites have a backbone, whatever you throw at us we can handle it. The double team of the 60s and beyond didn’t fear anything that they faced. In fact, it was the opposition that feared us and they must fear us this time around.

As I said above, I got what I wanted. Now all that is left is the planning and the journeys.

I forgot to mention, I've been to Eindhoven on my way to Amserdam a few years ago (on holiday)

By Glenn Renshaw

            

Comments

Popular Posts