The Beginning of my love affair with Tottenham Hotspur FC

The Beginning of my love affair with Tottenham Hotspur FC


I have decided to start a blog on my times going to Spurs and what surrounds it. Because I am starting now I shall do a quick review of my past Spurs memories over the years to the present (and it is quick).

I first went to White Hart Lane sometime between my birth and 1959. According to family legend, my dad took me as a baby to wet my head. Of course, I have no memory of this, as I was, you guessed it, a baby. But I do have vague memories of the double season, going along with my dad, his brother and their dad (my grandad). I was about five then, so a lot of it was a blur (that was in the early days). Seasons seemed to mix into seasons. I did go to all the Cup Finals (including the double season). My dad took me, and if he didn't, then a friend or an uncle. I never, alas, went to the 1963 European Cup Winners' Cup final as my parents couldn't afford the trip aboard. But I do remember watching it on TV. I also remember going to the world cup final in 1966… and "World cup Willie". That is the song (the theme song), not an exposure; I believe it was performed by Lonnie Donegan. I had the toy as well. That was an exciting day out… to witness your country win the World Cup on home turf. I remember walking away so excited—something to brag about when you went back to school.

I remember walking down the old Wembley way (eventually becoming our home for a year, 53 years later; that is the rebuilt Wembley).

Another interesting point; my mum is Swiss, and she told me that her dad played for the Swiss National team.

I remember the Spurs home games', great atmosphere and being passed down to the front, by the other supporters, to get a better view; if packed (as it usually was). The programmes (home), which I have every one since the early forties (started by my dad), was very important to me, as it was/ is to most Spurs supporter (and I am still collecting now). Then there was- and still are - the songs that resonate around the stadium at every Spurs match. The players that played for our great team (we mustn't forget them, the most essential ingredients of all). I remember Dave Mackay patting me on the head, or Jimmy Greaves picking me up as I fell over in the Spurs car park. That was just a few occasions (of many) when I bumped or collided with one of the players. I met Arthur Rowe and all the managers since, over the years. I have a special memory where Cliff Jones is concerned. I had many chats with him, and later on, I parked my car next to his at the school opposite the ground. In fact, it was a car park that was used by many ex-players and celebrities. Cliff Jones had written his autobiography, which I reviewed for Amazon and my blog.

When going with my dad or another member of my family, we would often go to a café on the Tottenham High Road, near the ground, and on certain days we found other players there, where we ended up chatting with them. Players like Mackay, Greaves, White, Jones etc. I remember Greaves and Mackay rustling my hair (not at the same time, though).

Talking about my dad, according to his dad (my grandfather), his father (my great-grandfather) was a supporter right from the very beginning. He was at the marshes and told me many stories about his early encounters, including the stadium moving locations. My Grandad and dad kept in touch with many of the founders over the years. He had a lot of memorabilia from those early days, which he passed on to me. Sadly, they were stolen when I immigrated to Australia in the late 60s… I was heartbroken. My dad was furious, so was my grandad. It wasn't my fault; they were stolen from the packing cases.

I remember John White nearly knocking me over in his car. Of course, I didn't know it was John White at the time, but my dad saw it and spoke to him after he stopped and asked me if I was ok. My dad shook his hand and then clouted me around the head for running out and not looking where I was going. He never stopped reminding me of that incident. A good lesson, as I tried to be careful after that (not always successfully, though). I remember reading the news of his sudden death, and the world swallowing me up.

So many great games and players graced the turf of White Hart Lane in those days. I also remember going to a few away games in the sixties as well (not always easy, as my dad had a young family). Talking of the Sixties, apart from the great Spurs teams, it also brought us The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, Sandy Shaw, Dave Clark Five (the Tottenham sound), and so many more. Models like Twiggy gracing the many papers of the time. Magical programmes on TV, such as Dr Who, Batman, Green Hornet, The Fugitive, Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, TOTPs, Blue Peter (I was a kid in those days!) and the list goes on. Go back further, and we've got Muffin the Mule, Andy Pandy, The Woodentops, Robin Hood etc.

Controversial things were happening in the sixties as well, such as "The Night of the Long Knives (politics)," Christine Keeler (the Profumo scandal), the "Manson murders" and of course the Moonwalk (no, not Michael Jackson's moonwalk, but the moon itself being finally conquered by the Americans).

I remember the pies, peas Bovril drink and tea's Tottenham Hotspur catering, served inside the ground, and outside, in their seller's vans or stands.

Oh, mustn't forget those Glory nights and the great European teams that graced our territory.

The 1970s

Yes, the 1970s… exciting times. We had Bowie, Glitter, Mar Bolan, Slade, Punk and various sorts of music. Oh, and we mustn't forget Disco and the Bee Gees etc. Films such as Saturday Night Fever, The God Father, Clockwork Orange, and so much more, such as flairs, platform shoes and other such crazy things (oh, and punk rock). In politics, we had Edward Heath asking "Who governs" and the people responding, "not you," then, later on, we had the "Winter of discontent," the beginning of Thatcher and the demise of Labour. They are closer to me (memory-wise) as I was now in my teens. I won't bore you by listing all the matches in my memory, and even though you might be shouting that you won't be bored (I say this tongue-in-cheek), it would take forever to go through every one. But I do remember us going down to the second division and then coming straight back up, UEFA Cup finals and other competitions.

Of course, in those days (the 70s) it wasn't just all about Spurs, there was also education, dates, and the list goes on. Then there were my driving tests' (bike & car) and the purchase of a motorbike, followed by a car (years later). I remember the first time I went to Spurs on my motorcycle and nearly coming off (almost, but not quite… very scary!). When my motorbike adventure finished, I moved on to travelling by car (or occasionally coach, lift or train). Much better for winters.

The late 70s saw us sign two Argentinians, Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa. That was an exciting event. By then, I lived in Berkshire.

Highlights: Cup finals (UEFA & League Cup), our big win over Bristol Rovers and the fights (no, I wasn't involved… just an observer).

For part of that time (the late 60s/ early 70s) I lived abroad. When I was in distant lands, I had to watch my Spurs from a TV screen. At that time, I become a fan of American wrestling and saw some of the famous names. That interest (wrestling) started in the 60s with my parents taking me. I saw many stars, such as Jackie Pallo, Dr Death, Kendo Nagasaki, Mick McManus etc. When I moved abroad, the interest continued; I saw famous names like Abdullah the Butcher, Mark Lewin, Killer Kowalski, Spyros Arion, Jack Brisco (world Champion), the Von Steiger brothers etc. But we are not here to talk about my other interests, but the Spurs.

The 1980s

The 80s were a decade of marriage, music, children, work (not that I didn't work in the 70s), our first house, critical decisions and a time of growing up (but none of that stopped me from going). It seemed it all happened in the 80s. And it was a good decade for Spurs, as well. Three FA Cup finals and one UEFA Cup.

The first final in the 80s was when we beat Man City in a replay and that great Ricky Villa goal; the following year, we faced QPR over two games, with Glenn Hoddle finally stepping up to take a penalty and win the game for u (both games weren't that brilliant). Then there was the UEFA final over two legs. Anderlecht was the team; the second final-leg was at White Hart Lane, where Tony Parks saved from a penalty shoot-out (last penalty) to win us the trophy. Glorious scenes.

The Cup finals' stick out for me. Especially 1981 (both matches) and 1987 final. The 1982-Cup final (both) didn't compare with the other two. In the 1981 replay, Ricky Villa scored that magnificent goal. Now a cup classic.

The 1980s was the year I become a life member of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters club (I still have my membership card). It cost £50 for a life membership, in fact, it was my ex-wife who bought it for me as a birthday present. That was a lot of money in those days.

Nineteen eighty-six was when Tottenham brought out the Spurs membership, and I became one of the first members. The club said, "If you join, you will go to the FA Cup final," if we should get there. And get there we did. I remember the shirts getting buggered up (only half the shirts showed the Sponsors name on them) and us losing our first FA cup final (Mabbutt own goal contributed to that defeat)… But it was still a good match and an enjoyable day, just not a good result.

Then there was the UEFA Cup final and Parks' magnificent save. I spoke to him afterwards (no, not on that day) about the match. I also remember taking my kids to WHL and Park's, getting a kick in the teeth and my son drawing the incident.

I got to know all the collectable Programme sellers around the stadium (still in contact with some of them).

The famous game where Glenn Hoddle scored his final home goal against Oxford United has a special memory for me. I went with a programme seller – who was also a Spurs & Oxford fan – and we were in the away end to watch that match. And what a match it was. His goodbye present to the home supporters.

One particular memory I do have was seeing Swansea City at White Hart Lane (I can't recall the year), but we beat them 1-0. It wasn't because of that, but the weather. There was snow everywhere, and it was bloody freezing. We were standing, and it was so-cold that when the match was over, and I went to move, I couldn't, just fell down. I was totally frozen. Do I regret missing the standing area? No, as I am a lot older now and with a knee problem (getting older doesn't get any easier for the body). Nevertheless, going to away matches the fans stand and you have no other choice but to join in, or miss what is happening.

Another match that stands out was when we played Stoke City, and we won 3-0 and Archibald got a hat-trick. I do remember saying "He (that is Archibald) hasn't done anything". But then he pops up and gets a hat-trick.

At the beginning of the 80s, I remember going with my wife, her first match, to see Ipswich Town at White Hart Lane, and we won 1-0. In the next edition of the programme, we could be seen in a photo. With us was her sister and a friend called Tottenham John, who was a Spurs fanatic.

I recall another time I took my kids, but I couldn't get seats for them – sitting with me - so they sat further down. Every time we scored and the crowd went wild, they looked around for me, confused… but then smiled when they saw me on my feet and joined in (they were very young).

David Pleat's excellent diamond formation and we were close in three competitions. So near, but so far.

A bomb scare before a cup match, forcing the game to be delayed. I think that was against Nottingham Forest.

The 70s and 80s were violent times for football. I tried to keep out of it, but you were targeted if you were wearing a Spurs scarf or any club scarf. If not with violence, then with abuse.

So many great memories, but not just at Tottenham or at away venues.

The 1990s

The 90s saw Bill Clinton become President of America and Monica Lewinsky, offering him a cigar. Tony Blair and his "New" Labour party took over from John Major's government and created a new Conservative party, but called it "New" Labour. The Internet was in its infancy, and we had to use dial-up to get online. Windows 95 came… yes, in 1995 and technology was about to radicalise our lives. The 90s also gave us the Spice Girls (enough, I hear you shout!).

Apart from the above, the 1990s was another extraordinary decade for me, the fanzine came out. I wrote for quite a few Fanzine Magazines (The Spur, Spur of the Moment, My eyes have seen the Glory and many others). I remember helping Stuart Mutler on his stall selling the Spur. Great times! It was also a decade that I was a single parent. Juggling work, kids, going to Spurs didn't always make it an easy life.

I remember supporting Alan Sugar over Terry Venables and writing about it and criticising TISA for their blind loyalty to Venables. I remember one of my articles being featured on Sky Sports. Actually, I didn't see it, but I was told about it by the editors of "Spur of the Moment". A lot was happening for Fanzine writers in the 90s. Sadly that occupation came to an end with the demise of fanzines (now internet/ Facebook has taken over).

In the first-ever semi-final at Wembley, I witnessed Gazza's brilliant goal against Arsenal (stopping them from winning the double), which took us to the final. That final I thought we blew it. First Gazza went off, then we (or I should say Linker) missed a penalty, but we still won. The joyous scenes of us beating Forest.

In the late 90s, I became a season ticket holder for the first time; things started to change, and I thought it was safer to have one. I was proven right. Made so many friends around where I sat. On the subject of season tickets; when you applied for one you were then asked, "Where do you want to sit?" and could even go down to the ground and pick your seat. Compare that to nowadays where there is a waiting list of about 50,000+.

Also in the 90s, 1998/9 to be precise we won the League Cup. Cup matches are always great atmospheres, and this one was no exception.

Then there was the time I was on TV – World in Action – with Gazza (no, nothing special), I was in the spurs car park, getting his autograph while he was being filmed. Talking about being filmed, I was interviewed on MOTD with the editors of "The Spur of the Moment" about Ozzie Ardiles' sacking as manager.

Again, so much to remember.

Now we go into the noughties.

A New Century

In the new century, we got a new modern Tate Gallery opening at the Bankside power station (London), Wikipedia is launched, and people took to the Internet as ducks took to water. Of course, we had the financial crash and Blair giving way to Brown (after 10 years of being PM), who gave way to a coalition of Tories and Lib-Dems and austerity. But that didn't stop Premier League clubs from becoming richer and buying the best players in the world.

I started going to Theatres and more travelling abroad, especially with Spurs.

Unfortunately, I had to give up my season ticket because of circumstances beyond my control, nevertheless, that didn't stop me from going, and I didn't miss a match, home or away (thanks to family & friends). I did get a Bronze membership card at a later date.

In the 90s, the Premier league started, and Spurs were regarded as one of the top five. Then things changed for us, and Sugar & Venables took over from Scholar and debt. That was followed by Levy and Enic buying out Sugar's shares. We started to slide, and in the early part of the 2000s, we were moving up and down the League. Many managers coming and going, while Levy and Co were trying to get it right. But with the arrival of Harry Redknapp, things started to change, and we pushed our way into the top four (briefly).

We went to a cup final and got ourselves a trophy, that was in 2007/8.

2010 to 2016

We saw the Lib-Dem/ Tory pack being dissolved after an election and the Tory party governing on their own.  Brexit took us out of the European Union and an uncertain future. Cameron resigned, Theresa May took over until she was finally disposed off, and she, in turn, was replaced by Boris Johnson. The rise of a little known left-wing Labour MP called Jeremy Corbyn taking over the Labour party by storm and eventually helping  Labour to their worst defeat since 1935.  But the future was going to start looking brighter for Tottenham Hotspur football club, at least from a financial angle.

Managers came and went, Harry Redknapp took us into Europe for the first time for a long while. Redknapp was replaced by Pochettino, and the sun came out for us (at least for a few years).

2016/ 2017 (and the Finale)

This was an exceptional season for all Spurs fans. White Hart Lane was a home away from home. We had known for a couple of seasons that we were going to move, and the building of a great new stadium was in the process. The final season saw a corner of the stadium knocked down and the capacity reduced. In that last season, we were brilliant at home, and it was only some of our away results that stopped us from winning the League. Our European matches were played at Wembley as UEFA wouldn't allow that competition to be played on home turf (because of safety and reduced numbers).

I went around the old stadium, videoing it for memories. I took tons of photos. Over the years, I got to know the staff, in and outside the stadium, and those in the Spurs shop, where I spent a fortune.

A special mention to the Spurs shop for the items/ clothing I bought over the years. I also got my photo taken with many Spurs idols when visiting the shop to promote their books or just being there to welcome fans. Made friends with the staff and manager, who I had known, what seems like, forever.

The programme sellers; in the 80s I remember there were many them, but over the years their numbers dwindled until there was just two. One of them I got to know very well: Martin. I purchased a lot from him over the years.

I also recall crossing the road – of Bill Nicholson way – and a car's horn going off behind me; I was in somebody's way, so I turned and was about to give him (or her) the finger, but before I did, luckily, I noticed it was Bale. Taken back, I just smiled and mouthed, "on your way, my old son" and left it at that. But I did chuckle to myself.

A year or so before the final season, Spurs erected a tent/ or cabin for Members/ season ticket holders to have a drink and meet players.

I always used to (and still do now) get to the stadium five hours before kick-off. I had to leave home even earlier (as it took me an hour and a half to reach the ground from my home in Berkshire).

I parked my car at the school opposite the ground and have been doing it for many years, going back to the 80s. John was in charge, and I used to love talking to him and those that worked with him. I even got a few of their numbers, and some are on my Spurs Facebook page to this day. Before that, I, and others, managed to park our cars' opposite the ground or some other road around the stadium.

In December of 2016, I purchased my seat for the new stadium. I also bought my seat for Wembley at the beginning of 2017.

The Finale day at White Hart Lane

The last game was a very emotional day. I arrived at the stadium at 9 am and got home at 11 at night. When I arrived, I parked up at the school opposite the stadium (I was a season ticket holder for parking) and chatted with John and the others. A few celebrates arrived, parked up and went into the stadium or stood around talking to us. I then made my way to the Spurs shop, looked around, purchased some items, spoke to the staff. Probably spent nearly an hour there. Then I went around to chat with the programme sellers and other people I knew.

Even though I had arrived early, there was a lot to do, see and etc. Finally, the time was approaching entry time (I think it was an hour before kick-off) and I went in. Got something to eat and drink and spoke to other supporters. Then I made my way to the stadium.

In that final game, my ticket was for the East Stand, at the very back. Because I was in the last row, I stood on the chairs to get a better view. Talked to my fellow neighbours, shook a few hands. Near the whistle time, the flags were being waved furiously (just a sea of flags around the stadium. a fantastic sight). Then both teams came out to loud cheers and, of course, continuous flag-waving. The whistle went, and both teams were off.

Sometime during the match, a steward told me to get down (from standing on the chairs). As the Steward vanished, I went back up… mainly because everybody else standing it was sometimes difficult to see.

The game seemed a blur, but we won convincingly and didn't lose a home game all that season. We beat Manchester United 2-1.

Just after the final whistle, there was a pitch invasion. Supporters, some with flags, had covered the pitch, so all you could see was a sea of blue and white. I would have gone as well, but I was too far back, so I just enjoyed the atmosphere. Over the tannoy came repeated appeals for the fans to go back to their seats so that the spectacular part of the entertainment could commence. What felt like about an hour, but was probably less, saw the pitch invaders were cleared. Then we settled down in our seats, or at least some of us did. We waited in anticipation for the finale scene to be played out. Old players came out to cries of joy, flag-waving and handclapping. Then the music started (or was it the other way around?). There were messages, a brief history of our club, and then a message from Daniel Levy on the large screens. And finally, and end of an era. The stadium was going to be turned into rubble, flattened so that a phoenix could rise from the ashes and finally bring the club into the 21st century.

As I left the stadium, some supporters were trying to rip up their seats for souvenirs. The security guards managed to get some back; while others did get through the security with their illegal possessions.

Spurs have been part of my life since the beginning of time (my time), some might even say, even while I was in the womb. I've seen some crap being played, relegation, Cup wins, average games, great games and games beyond magnificent, great memorable days, classics, and tears. In bad times, no matter how bad they were, I never stopped going. Loyalty isn't just for Christmas and the good days, but for life, otherwise, you are not a real supporter.

My Wembley expeditions will be discussed in another blog chapter – following this one - and from there until my death (well, I can hardly write beyond that, can I... or can I?).

Comments

Popular Posts